Roost for Chicks....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ragerkid2, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    What would be a good idea for a roost for baby chicks about two weeks old? How tall should it be?

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am interested in that as well...I know I have read posts about using two by fours rather than round posts for roosts in cold climates like mine for adult birds but I was wondering if I would need them for the younger birds too.

3. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    I've tried this before and they don't really use them because they don't have the desire to roost at this age. I did have some Barred rock chicks once that were very spunky and roosted on a metal bar that went through the brooder (I wouldn't reccomend using metal though because it can get cold) It was about 5 inches off the ground. I've put pieces of wood in their cages and stuff but generally they don't show any interest in it at all until older.

4. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    chicks love a roost. it should be about 2 times the height of the bird.

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Mine love their roost, too. They don't "roost" like adult birds, but they love to play on it. They jump up, jump down, practice flying off of it. And occasionally, they actually nap on it. I highly recommend giving them a roost. I have a couple different heights that fit in the brooder.

6. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    I just introduced a roost to my 6 to 8 week old chicks in their outdoor pen. It is 2"x2" and 3' to 4' long. They were leary of it at first, but then started hopping up and down on and off it. Some will gather on it periodically during the day. It is about 4" off the ground.

7. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    My chicks are 2 weeks old, and DH put a roost in yesterday afternoon, and the chicks LOVE it!!! some of them actually slept on it last night- and I guess the rest of them cuddled up underneath the ones on the roost! They nap on it, climb on it, fly off it etc... My hubby used a couple pieces of 1x2 and nailed them into an "L" shape. one side is buried under the shavings, the other side is up for them to roost on. I'll post a pic here in a little bit... (as soon as I go take one!) [​IMG]

8. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Baby chicks love roosts. Whether it is to practice their flying or to take naps. Try a 1/2" diameter dowel rod secured at about 5 inches from the ground. Be sure to secure the rod so it does not turn when they are getting off and on. It may deter them from using it. As they grow, you could move the rod up or just install new ones at a new height. At one point, there will be a need for a larger diameter depending on the breed, bantam or standard size, etc.

9. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Quote:Here is the roost my DH built:

[​IMG]

10. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    Quote:Here is the roost my DH built:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80736_p4183228.jpg

Awwwh, look at all those babies....love them....mine are not so baby anymore....and I don't have half as many, but I still love them....and btw- my peeps have had a roost in thier brooder since they were two weeks, and they so love it....was up and down, up and down, now they all line up on it and take thier naps...awwwwhhh so cute!!! I want my DBF to learn chicken math...UGH!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by