We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Roost for cochin

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Veerorita, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Veerorita

Veerorita In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2017
    Hello, I have taken a Cochin age 2 in and wondered my current roost is too high as she is heavier than my EE and RIR. It’s 16 inches up from the floor of the coop. Will I have to lower it for her or will she be fine? Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Aunt Angus likes this.
  2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Your post reads 16 feet. :th

The 16 INCHES is just fine. Mine are set at 24 inches up and the cochins have no problem using them.

Veerorita and sylviethecochin like this.
  3. Veerorita

Veerorita In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2017
    Oops, corrected it! Thank you! She’s heavy. I don’t know if she will even be able to jump that high. Lol

4. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    My Cochin can jump up to my 30 in high poop board, but she has trouble getting from the poop board to the actual roost, which is 12 inches above that. So every night, I put her up on the roost so she doesn't get pooped on. She's such a big baby... I imagine that if I set the roost further back from the edge of the poop board, she'd be able to manage just fine. But I'd have to remake the whole poop board/roost set up. Not gonna happen!

I have a ramp that she uses to get down from the roost, but she won't use it to get up there.

Bottom line, your Cochin can probably navigate fine, as long as she isn't a big baby like my Iris.

5. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    A thought: you might be able to add a "step," for her. I have one in the run. It's just an old pier block, but you could use a stump or something similar. My Cochin jumps onto it and then onto the roost in the run.

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    They can be quite large lol.
    I have 2 gigantic blue cochin and I also keep the big Brahma so I am familiar with those big heavy birds.

Landing space ...... They need long landing space for exiting high roosts but 16 inches..they can hop down from that without injury.

Aunt Angus likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: