Roost for Silkies

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rose66, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    I have silkies along with standard sized barred rocks, polish, and leghorns. They are all almost 4 weeks old. I've read that silkies don't fly well at all due to their unique feathering so now I'm wondering what I need to do as far as building roosts. If I build some roosts at 3', 4', and 5' and have a walk up ladder to them, will the silkies walk up the ladder and then try to fly down and hurt themselves? I know the standard chicks would be able to fly well enough to get down safely but I'm worried about the silkies. I think I did read somewhere that lots of silkies just prefer to sleep on the floor of their coop. Is that correct and if yes, do I need to make some special place or box for them to sleep in? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have some that roost without issue, others like the low nesting boxes.

You can always put in a low roost, 18" to 24" off the ground. My sizzles really loved the old saw horse I gave them.

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Rose66 ,
    I have a variety of breeds along with 1 white silkie. My roost is over 6' off the ground and has a ladder going up to it. She has been up there and I have watched her jump/fly down without hurting her self. From what all I've read on BYC and in publications, chickens like tobe up high. They will fight for the highest roost if ya have roosts of varying heights. I went with one long roost, as high as I could and still give them head room and fly up room for the ones that can.
    If ya wanna see my set up, go to my page and give it a look. Hope this helps.
    Erik

4. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    None of my Silkies have ever perched. They've all always just piled together in a corner.

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Mine all roost on low roost about 3 feet up the big birds roost are higher though and everyone is happy that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by