1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roost for the biggest chicken of them all?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Swamp Roo, May 13, 2008.

1. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    I'd like to have a place to sit and watch my chickens while in the chicken run. What I don't want is to sit in chicken poop. What are people doing for clean seating? Thanks.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have a small chair that I keep out of the coop that I brush off and bring in with me when I want to do some bird watching.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe make a "lid" for your seat. Why does that sound funny? LOL

Like a cover you can just flip over when you are done sitting on it so the poo ends up on the side you aren't sitting on. A box cover type lid may be better as you probably don't want poo on the back of your pant legs either.

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:That is what we are doing.

5. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Silkiechicken, I just know I'll leave the lid up! [​IMG] Actually that was the solution I was kind of leannig toward. Just want to see if my feeble mind has missed a good idea. Thanks

6. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    I have a milk crate in the chicken run that I sit on when visiting with my girls. So far no poop is ever on it.
    And in the chicken house we have a small stool for us to sit on in there...and when we leave we just bring it out and put it on the porch of the coop. (If we remember). Also there have been times the boy child forgets to bring the stool out, so I have taken a hand towel in to sit on, then just tossed it in the washing machine. I love to be able to sit with my chickens!

7. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Too funny, I was actually thinking about the exact same thing today and I haven't even moved my lovely dozen into the coop yet. It should be done this weekend and then we will need an in-coop seat, LOL.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We have several chairs that we keep on the porch, that are light-weight and easy to carry over to the main run to watch "chicken television". Our coops are are located close to our mobile home so it's super easy for us to do it this way as opposed to a chair inside the run.

Dawn

9. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    i'm sure a plastic lawn chair would work fine,plus it can be hosed off if needed.

10. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I use a folding camp chair. The kind that comes in a bag. When I am done I just fold it up and put it in the bag and up on the shelf it goes! Works like a charm. OH its the smaller size one with no arms so its easy to pack and unpack unlike some of the bigger ones. JEN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by