roost height again

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nhorrin, May 12, 2011.

1. nhorrin

nhorrin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    I have 30 chicks in the brooder at this time. 10 bantam cochins, 10 bantam brahamas, and 10 bantam New Hampshires. I am building an 8' x 8' coop with run at this time. I have placed the roosts at about 40" above the litter with a droppings board 8" below the roosts. In reading some posts I see that the roost can be too high and cause damage to the birds when they jump off. Any further info on the correct height for these birds would be helpful. Thanks again!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You should be fine with bantams. The concern is with the really large birds, Jersey Giants and Brahmas for example.

This is another one of those things where it is POSSIBLE they can hurt themselves getting down. Even with the really big birds it does not happen that often, but it does happen so it is good practice to not go overboard on roost height for them.

With bantams, yours could probably go 15 feet high and not have a problem getting down. 40" is absolutely no problem.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Horizontal flight distance may be a factor. My birds like to fly down at angle that is shallower than 45 degrees, usually about half that unless roost on slope, then they may even fly horizontally to reach ground. The steeper / more vertical descents seem to be the ones that put stress on legs at landing. When flight scope impeded, provided a soft pile of straw may help cushion impact.

4. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    So for the larger birds (I will have a couple of Giants), what is a recommended roost height? We are in the VERY early planning stages of our coop (as in, no plans yet - still researching lol!). Another question, if doing the deep litter method, do you still put a droppings board under the roost?

Thx!

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have Delawares, RIR, Welsummers, and Barred Rocks. I use roosts about 36 inches off the ground I have a few "step Roosts" that they use.

Nate

6. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    Quote:where are you located?

if you're in a northern climate 8x8 may not be be enough room for 30 chickens, even if they're bantams

7. nhorrin

nhorrin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I have a good idea what will work for these birds. I think I'll use a ladder of some type also. My location is northern New Hampshire and I plan on keeping about 12 to 15 after I can determine which are roosters. I think 8' x 8' will be big enough for them but would appreciate any input on this also. Thanks again!

8. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Okay, now you have me thinking about mine. I have 5 New hampsire reds, and 2 white leghorns. We have different levels, and did install a ladder form one level down to about 2' off the floor. Only 2 use it as it was not installed when they firt moved to the new coop.

As the OP asked, is the heigth for my birds at about 6-7' at the hightest, too high? Right below that, about 12 inches is a sloped area above the nesting boxes. Next level is again about 12" down to the roosts outside the nesting boxes on the top row. Then they have a ladder that they can use, but most choose not too. One flies into the feeder all the time...?? Trying to teach her to use the ladder, but she is stubborn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by