Roost height/ placement

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DeutschHühner, Dec 14, 2017.

1. DeutschHühner

DeutschHühner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2017
    Saarland, Germany
    914D9940-0352-4B3B-8B10-DB79217AF543.jpeg E3A06E86-3475-4F29-A058-065C11C4D068.jpeg planning on adding more ventilation but for now its the window, the cracks around the entry doors and the run door opposite the window. I’m moving the roost higher. I don’t know how high I can expect my S Sussex girls to go, though. Which of these looks like a smarter idea?

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I suggest below the window, actually. Chickens can hurt themselves by jumping off of something too high, and moisture gets trapped near the ceiling, which doesn't help with any frostbite problems you might have. Can I assume Germany has bad winters?

You could make a ladder-type perch. That way you can keep it entirely out of the way of the window and run door. (I stole this picture from the internet)

[​IMG]

Really pretty coop interior, by the way. You make that?

Bogtown Chick likes this.
  3. I agree....The placement of the Roost and the height is not adequate ...Leg injuries come to mind..Plus the possible frostbite they could get...Lots of great options for roosts...

DeutschHühner likes this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chicken Obsessed

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Wow, you coop look really nice.

I have my roosts at about my chest height so I can easily reach and grab if needed. 6 inches below is a droppings board. And about the center is a ramp that most of the birds use. I also have a lower roost that is just above the height of my lay boxes, or 12-18 inches. This allows for younger or lower pecking order/new birds to work their way up the roost. And many of gals hang out on the lower roost while waiting for the lay box or during bad weather. It is always used heavily when integrating juveniles.

They will roost as high as they can. But as people mentioned leg injuries and even breast bruises can happen and Sussex aren't light birds, so it isn't recommended. Get rid of that high roost. No matter how much they may like it, it's very inconvenient if you need to access or treat the birds for something.

My birds fight/jockey for the spot by the window!

I would not have two openings on opposite sides of the building open, unless 1 was extremely low and the other was extremely high. Putting gable vents would probably be best. Or have you openings on the same side to prevent the drafty effect. Some coops are 3 sided with one whole side open.

Looks like you have lots of room to play. :)

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Beautiful coop. SS are large birds, so you might want to drop that perch down. Also, is your perch location permanent? If not, I'd turn it 90*. The swing of the window is also a concern to me. If it were my design, I'd mount it OUTSIDE the window frame, and hinge it at the top so it swings out like an awning. Your birds are gonna want to perch on top of that window sash.

I like to see a perch about 2.5' off the floor, at least 15" from the back wall, plenty of landing strip space in front of the perch, and at least 18" below the ceiling.

My suggestion for ventilation: 10% of floor space or 1 s.f. of vent per bird. I like to see multi level vents, and like to see vents on opposing walls! Floor level vents, windows, gable and soffit vents all adorn my 10 x 12 coop at 44.5 latitude. Louvered vents are great for allowing circulation while blocking weather and preventing breezy drafts. make all openings predator proof.

6. DeutschHühner

Dec 7, 2017
    Saarland, Germany
    Nah. It is a re-purposed garden shed my father-in-law picked up at Deutschland's version of Home Depot a few years ago. It's a nice space. I was concerned about what I'd read regarding nest boxes being higher than roosts, but I can shorten the legs on the nest box structure (which my husband and I DID make) easily enough. We only have the nine hens and aren't planning on more. Today I built a stand-alone roost that is about knee high. I'll leave that in there if I can still fit it when I put in the nest boxes, plus I'll put the "grownup" roost at a safe level and probably add a ramp for their convenience. Thanks for your reply!

7. DeutschHühner

Dec 7, 2017
    Saarland, Germany
    Thanks for the tips! I'm going to make everything a bit lower. After reading the responses, I've also made some changes to the run. I had made a sand bath that I'd cordoned off with ornamental cement dividers... but it sat right under the outside roost (already only chest high) and the talk of injury made me rethink that. The whole run is covered in sand now anyway (yet another change in the plan after more reading) so they can have their bath wherever. I have room to cut a hole in the upper wall and cover it with a strong mesh to allow more air flow. I thought I'd done lots of research already but man, it's never ending! (much to the chagrin of my husband.)

8. DeutschHühner

Dec 7, 2017
    Saarland, Germany
    Thanks! That roost is coming down closer to the base of the window. I think there will be two roosts, so if it gets to windy on the one with "the view" they can move down to the free standing one I built today. That board is already cut to fit all the way across that side of the coop. I could make it free standing as well, but I think I'll try it the way it is, only a bit lower and further from the window. (abandoning the nosebleed section entirely) The window swings all the way open and secures with a little hook. I only had it the way you see in the photo to make sure it would clear the roost. I'll be making a hole in the upper wall and covering it with strong mesh for additional ventilation. I appreciate your suggestions!

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    A woman with a recip saw is a formidable foe!!!

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have two roosts running the full length of my coop. they are each 16 feet long..
    I have windows along the south wall .
    I put the roost nearest to the window about 16 inches high. the second roost is farthest from the window and it is about a foot higher than the lower roost.

they are like bleachers in front of the window. when the sun shines in, all of the chickens can sit in the sunlight.
    and as an added plus, I can shovel poop from under the roosts all the way to the wall under the window, without and interference from the roosts.

I was in Dahn ,Germany for a couple of years, the winters were not near as severe as we have in Wisconsin.

DeutschHühner likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by