Roost height

Wainbowmudd

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Florida
I just wanted to get your expert advice on my roost situation. I’m in Florida and I have an open air coop design that is 12x6 with nest boxes on the back and door on the front so I figured the roost should go on the side wall to be out of the way. It’s just under 4 ft high. I also installed a lower bar on the opposite side to help them fly up if needed. Half of them fly up from the ground. My worry is the flying down part. They don’t use the other bar to get down, just straight to the ground. Is this height okay for their feet at that angle? I tried to make sure they have enough landing space but it seems to be at an odd angle for them to get down. Thoughts?? Changes or additions to make? I have 6 chickens.

6EC25D8E-D608-4E42-ADCB-FDE6B6DD3AF2.jpeg
D0044225-FE14-462D-8821-DE32CFAC7A98.jpeg

Last edited:
I do feel like that is a little high - any way to maybe make another roost out further from the wall underneath it (for more of a ladder effect?

Also what breeds do you have? I feel like Leghorns might do better with the height than heavy, dual purpose birds.

I do feel like that is a little high - any way to maybe make another roost out further from the wall underneath it (for more of a ladder effect?

Also what breeds do you have? I feel like Leghorns might do better with the height than heavy, dual purpose birds.

Maybe I’ll take the other one and put it farther away from the wall a bit underneath the main roost.

I have a barred rock, a buff Orpington, a red girl not sure what type, an Olive egger and two Easter eggers. They’re not full grown yet.

EC5101AD-E788-4938-8680-5A52F4A877E2.jpeg

If I were you I'd have the roosts on the side where the arrow is, placed at staggered heights with the lower roost 1 foot further out than the top roost. And move or cover the food dispensers. I'd also cover that top triangle part. But all this is just me, I think they need 3 full sides of wind/rain protection and the length of the run should give them plenty of cruising air space for the downward decent.

Last edited:
3 to 4 feet in height is great for the roost bar. Just remember 1' of space for each chicken on a roost bar and more space is always good.

I do feel like it needs to be longer according to that rule but of course they sleep right next to each other and leave so much empty space haha. I’ll probably be upgrading their roost before they’re full grown

If I were you I'd have the roosts on the side where the arrow is, placed at staggered heights with the lower roost further out than the top roost. And move or cover the food dispensers. I'd also cover that top triangle part. But all this is just me, I think they need 3 full sides of wind/rain protection and the length of the run should give them plenty of cruising air space for the downward decent.

Forgot to mention I’m in Florida where it’s hot most of the time. I would have had the back wall enclosed fully if I did it all over though. The nest boxes are on the arrow “wall”, I didn’t want them to get all pooped on when I open them up and put the ladder out. 🤔 hmmm

Maybe I’ll take the other one and put it farther away from the wall a bit underneath the main roost.

I have a barred rock, a buff Orpington, a red girl not sure what type, an Olive egger and two Easter eggers. They’re not full grown yet.

View attachment 2342939
My BOs are poor, awkward flyers at best, and my EE is much better at flying - at the age they are, none of them should have any issues, but something to think about for when they're a bit bigger. Harder landings from roosts can make them more likely to get bumblefoot.

Also, the one foot per chicken seems like a lot, but is a lot less as they grow - and it also gives them room to figure out pecking order arguments and work out who wants to sit next to who without too much drama. If everyone HAS to sleep right next to each other, you're more likely to end up with stressed chickens, especially if you decide to introduce new chicks one day.

I just wanted to get your expert advice on my roost situation. I’m in Florida and I have an open air coop design that is 12x6 with nest boxes on the back and door on the front so I figured the roost should go on the side wall to be out of the way. It’s just under 4 ft high. I also installed a lower bar on the opposite side to help them fly up if needed. Half of them fly up from the ground. My worry is the flying down part. They don’t use the other bar to get down, just straight to the ground. Is this height okay for their feet at that angle? I tried to make sure they have enough landing space but it seems to be at an odd angle for them to get down. Thoughts?? Changes or additions to make? I have 6 chickens.

View attachment 2342873View attachment 2342874
How many chickens r there? If it’s more than 4 than you need a second roost, they need their space to. Might be a little high though- up you can put a step stool (3-step) under it so that they can jump to the top step then jump up to their roost

6 chickens. The roost is 5.5 long I believe, I’ll have to measure again to be sure.

I have a Rubbermaid organizer in there that I’ve been moving around to figure out where to best put it that could be a great step stool but they haven’t used it To get down yet, only some use it to get up along with the other lower bar.

Back
Top Bottom