roost height

nhorrin

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 12, 2011
I have 30 chicks in the brooder now, 10 bantam cochins, 10 bantam brahmas and 10 bantam New Hampshires. I plan to keep about 15 of these in an 8' x 8' coop I am in the process of building. I will have the roost bars at about 40" above the litter. Is this to high for these birds? I read somewhere that birds can damage themselves if the roost is to high. I would appreciate any input as it will be easier to make the change now rather than later. Thanks!

My (9) chickens, which are 7 weeks old, roost approx 5 feet off the coop floor. That is as high as I can go inside my coop, as the ceiling is slanted from about 7 ft down to about 6ft. I never expected them to roost that high up so early but they do it. I have one lower roost bar, and a poop board that they use as stair steps to get to the top roost. They are like clock work too....every evening, at the exact same time, they file in one by one, and settle in for the night. I'm proud of my girls for learning so early on. And I'm really glad I don't baby them, although they're pretty spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom