Roost Height

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nhorrin, Jul 1, 2011.

1. nhorrin

nhorrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have 28 7week old bantams, 10 Cochins, 9 Brahamas and 9 New Hampshires. They are just starting to roost at night. I have a roost made from 2"X2" stock about 60" long, spaced 12" apart at about 40" off the floor. There is a droppings board 8" below the roosts. The roosts are all at the same height. The birds are roosting on many things lower than the roosts but not on the roosts. Will they work their way up or would it be better to build a ladder for access? Thanks!

2. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    It might help..I put one in my coop but my first roost is at 40" 50" and 60" It helps them up and down if they need it [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

They will move up as they get stronger. As long as the roost pole is higher than the nest boxes, but not so high as to risk injury jumping up and down, you'll be just fine.

4. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You'll be surprised how quick they will be able to get up there. I put my roost boards in (2 boards, ~40" high and 18" apart) but didn't get around to installing the ladder that same day. Next morning, there was poop on one of the boards. So, busy day, I just tossed a planter container that a small tree came in in the coop, upside down, about 2 feet out from the roost (it's about 18" high). Went out to peek that night, and everyone was snuggled up on the roost boards. I have yet to install a ladder, figure if they don't need it... They were about 8 weeks when I installed the boards, and are all LF breeds.

5. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

i seen some of my birds roost up on objects 6 foot high, roosters especially like to get up high and crow. My gamefowl rooster sits out and crows all day on his 4 foot high roost, and his girlfriend likes sit with him when shes not broody.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  6. Toothless Willie

Toothless Willie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Aye. The wall of our coop is 4'. The roosts about 9-10" lower with very nice ladders up to them. Except for a couple of the fat lazy hens they all now roost on the ceiling joists. So much for my wonderful ladders and well planed roost areas. [​IMG]

7. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't make a ladder I just put the stick in there and let them fly to it.

It is actually really good for them and makes birds stay in better condition

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by