1. versamorgans

versamorgans New Egg

Apr 7, 2007
    i have one set af roosts at 2 ft and the other at about 4 ft. i have ramps for access. is the 4 ft. to high? i have RIRs and barred rocks.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    4 feet is not to tall. You will find they can fly up higher than that if they choose.

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I also have 2 roosts. One at 2.5 feet and one at 5 feet. All of my girls roost on the top roost. They seem to like it higher up. But my coop is on the edge of the tree line and they surely feel safer up high, even though nothing can get inside. They all fly to the bottom roost and then to the top one. I had one fly up to the top of the door [5 foot] with one try. As kstaven said yours should be fine.

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our roost go from a couple of feet to almost 4 feet high in the pen, the hen house they go up to 5 feet. When the chickens are not eating when free-ranging we leave the food on top of the pen so the dogs don’t eat it, they will fly up there and eat, it is probably a little over 5 feet.

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    my higest roost is at 6 ft. and all the birds fight for the top roost. My birds can fly up to the top of my barn which is 40+ feet high, so they can fly pretty well.

6. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Quote:Wow! [​IMG]

7. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:Wow! [​IMG]

now mind you, the ones that I have that fly well, are the smaller bodied birds. My Anconas, hamburgs, and delawares. My australorps, and buffs dont umm...fly very well at all![​IMG]

8. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I did have this mental picture of a pack of big fluffy buff orps doing loops over your barn roof! [​IMG]

That is the main reason I chose not to get bantys even though their smaller size would probably be better in our heat. My old neighbor never could keep his where he wanted 'em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by