roost height

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ipie68, Oct 29, 2011.

1. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    how high should the roost be [​IMG]

2. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    i need to know soon [​IMG]

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    18 to 24 inches off the ground.....mine are about 48 inches....but they need a ladder to get up and down from there...
    chickens like to roost up high...it makes htem feel safe!

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    ipie there really is no "proper" height for roosts. Ours vary from 3 feet at the lowest to 6 feet for the highest one. Like Goldie we have a ladder for ours to get up there. I've seen photos on here of chickens way up in the barn rafters.

I will say that heavy chickens need roosts lower down . Chickens will use a ladder to get up at night but always seem to fly down. If the roosts are too tall for the heavier chickens they can hurt themselves jumping/flying down.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    The top roost in this coop is about eight ft. off the ground & positioned so the birds can look out of a w[​IMG]indow.

6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have roosts starting 18 inches off the floor all the way to six feet. Most of my adult birds choose to sleep in the seven feet high rafters [​IMG] . They use the bottom three roost as ladders to get higher, but don't sleep on them. I also have a few stubborn chickens that sleep on top of my nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by