1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roost height?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by linetangler, Sep 1, 2013.

1. linetangler

linetangler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    Newville, pennsylvania
    I am in the process of constructing a coop out of a old out building on my property and I'm curious what's the roost height needed. My chickens will have wings clipped so they won't be able to take off. Also I keep seeing screening under roost. I take it that it's for a manure catcher?? Thanks for the help

2. XtremeRooster

XtremeRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not gonna tell you to not clip there wings but something you need to think of, my chickens have used their flight ability to escape from predators more than once. In my run they roost on the top rail above the roost. In my coop they roost on the top roost bar which is 6ft tall. They are smart warriors they like the high ground.

If you clip their wings whatever height you put the roosts at you will need a ladder system for them to climb up to the roost. In my "opinion" the higher the roost the better.,

3. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    I have 8 nesting boxes side by side that are covered with plywwod and its great for scraping after a night of them all perching on a roosting board about a foot above the boxes. The attached photo might help a little. I didnt have a picture of the roosting branch on top.
    [​IMG]

4. linetangler

Aug 31, 2013
    Newville, pennsylvania
    How far do the nest boxes have to be off the ground for quality laying?

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Nest box height is dependent on what type of chickens you have. I have Golden Comet hens and my nest boxes are 2 feet off the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I thought about clipping wings but then I thought about what if one got out. What if one got out and needed to fly away from something. So I'm not clipping wings.

7. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I thought about clipping wings but then I thought about what if one got out. What if one got out and needed to fly away from something. So I'm not clipping wings.

8. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    linetangler, another article from a golden feather member suggested 18 to 24 inches I believe so that is what i made mine and added ramps leading up to them. see illustration from my previous post. Clipping wings is no big deal, chickens can still take flight high enough to hop onto just about anything. If you are not happy with that, clip just one wing and it will still give them some ability.

9. linetangler

Aug 31, 2013
    Newville, pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

10. linetangler

Aug 31, 2013
    Newville, pennsylvania
    That is what I came up with. Kind of limited on space but they will have alot of room outside. Still not done with coop. Any ideas would help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by