1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roost heights

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CANDLE98, Feb 7, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I am going to be putting in my roost for my 6 weeks old chicks this weekend. I am planning on putting them pretty high up, so do I need to put a little step ladder up to them or what? How high can they jump/fly? Thanks!

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    At six weeks they can fly pretty well so do a temporary one about 3-4ft off the ground and possibly raise it as they age.

3. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Keep in mind that the higher you place the roost, the greater the odds of injuries from hopping down. Make sure your litter is deep enough to cushion the jump. Very heavy birds should not be allowed to roost at all.

My roosts are 20 inches high and everyone is happy.

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:Good advise,mine are about that or a little higher and they are all level. No "king of the mountain"in our coop. Will
    [​IMG]

5. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I didn't think of them having a problem getting down! I just figured they would do the glide thing. I guess I will just make several levvels for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by