Roost help wanted- update with photos of our coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by johndeerelover, Nov 14, 2013.

1. johndeerelover

johndeerelover Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Carroll County Maryland
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm trying to figure out the best place for roosts in my coop. It's hard to see the higher roost, but if you look closely it is up above the windows. There is also the shorter one by the window. That is only about 8 inches from the window's hardware cloth is that ok?

Right now on the upper roost, the chickens backs are almost level with the top of the walls which is also where the ventilation is. There is hardware cloth between the wall/roof where they meet. Is that ok, or I should I have it lower so they are below the winter draft? I did have one roost way up inside the A frame, but they never went up to it so I took it down.

Thanks again!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    That's a nice looking coop! If your hardware cloth is secure with wood trim framing or lots of screws with washers I wouldn't worry about anything getting through it.

3. johndeerelover

Oct 7, 2013
    Carroll County Maryland
    ok thanks. It's 19 gauge 1/2 inch hardware cloth, and I screwed pieces of wood on top of it using quite a few screws. I pushed on it myself, and it doesn't go anywhere. I wasn't sure if raccoons can eventually gnaw through the stuff or not. Hopefully not!

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Your roost location does not sound ideal. I would move the roost bar down to about half of the wall height. This way any air blowing in from the upper vents is not directly on the birds. Roost bars are best above the nest height and designed so that the birds don' t have to fly up to them or have long jumps down from them. A lot of flapping creates very dusting conditions in the coop. Set your bars down and add a ramp up to them. They are fine in front of the windows provided you have secure mesh on each window.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  5. johndeerelover

Oct 7, 2013
    Carroll County Maryland
    added some interior photos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by