1. slushey51

slushey51 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Im making a coop out of an old playground. I have six chicks so I have two boxes on a shelf and they get up their by a ramp. The shelf covers part of the run (that is where their food and water will be).

I am wandering, since the roosts are going to be in an enclosed area how far from a wall do they have to be and how far from the ceiling do they have to be.

Thanks,
    slushey51

2. slushey51

slushey51 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    +Good Evening Everyone,

3. KLLEETRUCKING

KLLEETRUCKING Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Utopia, S.C.
    How high are your ceilings? Our roosts are about 5' from the ground with an 8' high ceiling so their heads aren't even close. Allow them enough room so they don't conk their heads when flapping up there or during squabbles. Our girls go for the "highest ground" they can get to.

I'm guessing they're about 15" from the wall at the top roost. I know their tail feathers don't touch the wall. I'll get my DGF to post a pic if you'd like. BTW, the 5' height makes it nice for petting before bed. Yeah, I said it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I would leave at least 2 feet from ceiling to roost. I wouldnt go anyless that 12 inches from wall.

5. DGuy

DGuy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Somehow my nest boxes ended up 30 inches from the floor. Is this too high?

My roosts are 38 high will this work? How much lower should the poop board be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by