1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roost....how high from roof interior

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by capebird, May 16, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I've seen a couple of posts lately about how far the roost should be
    from the back wall.... I've got a similar question. What is the least amount
    of headroom the roost needs from the ceiling of the coop.... my coop's ceiling is
    slightly less than five feet at the tallest point (then slopes back to about 4.5 feet)
    from the floor...
    if I place the roost a foot below the ceiling is that enough headroom??
    Thanks

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    My highest roost is about a foot from the ceiling and is the favorite spot for my girls, although they are only 7 weeks old so maybe it'll change as they get bigger.

3. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about making the roost about 12 from the ceiling... the
    nest boxes are about 16 inches off the floor..... so the roosts would be a good deal higher than the nest
    boxes. Just want to make sure 12 inches of space between the roost and ceiling isn't too close to the ceiling.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My roost is about 14 inches from the ceiling and that is where they all want to be. They are only up there to sleep, and they don't mind crouching down up under there either. Yours should be fine [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...I would have said make sure they have about 18 inches of clearance (for LF chickens), but others seem to doing okay with less [​IMG] If nothing else, I'd go with the 16 inches you mentioned. The roosts don't have to be a LOT higher than the nest box perch, even 6 inches will encourage them to prefer the higher point. Could you do your nest boxes 18" off the floor (keep useable floor space) and the roosts 36 inches???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by