Roost...how high...how low?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wilmothfarms, Jul 26, 2010.

1. wilmothfarms

wilmothfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Question and answer time! In my coop (8x12) I have roosts the full width of my coop.....Ive got several breeds from, a Modern Game Hen, bantams, to the larger orphingtons and Plymouth Rocks, RRR, and I'd like to get a couple Jersey Giants next year - ...I know for them I'll need a roost 2' or lower - 24 birds in all right now...so what height should my highest roost be? Here is a picture right after my coop was built....its the only one I've taken of the inside, unfortunately I dont have one since I've finished decorating the inside [​IMG] I need to get one!!!! That bottom board with the concrete blocks is no longer there....I had some small birds that needed that much smaller roost so its gone....
    [​IMG] Thanks for your input!!!! ALSO..... Should I take down that bottom roost or the next one up to make room for my nesting boxes? I do have room on the opposite side of the coop for them of course, but removing one or both of those roost sure would be nice! Give me so much more room! DH's design was great for lots of birds and simple, BUT it closed up the sides and limits what I can do!
    Rachel

2. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    i don't think there is a specific height your roosts need to be. i have two roosts in my coop that span the width of the coop (3' wide by 6' long). they are staggered like yours. all 4 of my girls go to the top roost no matter what. when i had 6 chickens (2 roos had to go) they all crammed up there. i have a small "ladder" at one end so they can get their big fluffy butts up there. maybe you remove the bottom roost or two and just add a small ladder at one end so they can get to the first roost. from there they can go as high as they like. it will certainly clear up a lot of floor space for you.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with kicho...as long as you provide a chicken ladder (or a lower roost that steps up to a higher roost), there's no ideal height for your roost (well...you would want it higher than your nest boxes). The big girls can climb up and down the chicken ladder and the lightweights can fly up/down... Even the big JGs you want will probably try for the highest roost. A stepped system like you have looks good...and gives them a way to get up/down and is safe on the heavies feet/legs.

4. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Thanks So much! I had forgotten I have not one, but TWO old bunk bed ladders, a metal one and a handmade old wooden one thats probably perfect for a ladder for them, its wider. I think i'll remove at least the bottom roost, and possible the second one too. I want to add more birds later but I can always add the roosts back in if I need too, but I have a feeling everyone will just crowd together anyway! I hadnt thought about a ladder so they could get up there! THANKS guys!

5. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Go for the wood. Metal ladder would be too cold for them in the winter. I made my ladder out of 2x2's. It was originally their roost bar in their brooder. [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have 10 RIR. 6 are 14 weeks & 4 are 10 weeks. The 14 week old roost on the top roost & the 1o week old roost right below. I think they are like children they hang with their age group. At Least mine do.

7. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    I decided on the wooden in the coop also, I'm going to take down the bottom two roosts, to give me more floor space for nesting boxes which I need to get in there like yesterday! I'll have hens laying any day now. I'm going to attach them to the roosts somehow so they can just walk up like you guys suggested (great info guys thanks). The metal one I put outside, I think I'll put outdoor step grips on the rungs so that their poor feet dont freeze in the summer or get too hot in the winter. They havent paid it ANY attention yet! I'm really surprised! They always love something new????? Weird, maybe red isnt their color? It matches the trim on the coop! LOL Hope they will still use the roosts when I paint them red today! LOL
    My newest are all staying together too, in fact I've introduced them to the group 2 weeks ago or more and they still hide out in a separate "safe" area from the larger and older birds. I dont know if they will EVER come out of hiding. My smallest most dainty bird in the new bunch, a modern game hen, is the bravest and comes out but lays near them, and I think thats cause they call her back when she goes out. Do you think the rest will eventually follow her? The other 4 are all bantams like her. I have 2 other bantams in my older flock, both are D'Ucles...no bigger than them, and when I introduced them there were no problems really just a couple pecks as to be expected, but one bird got a peck in the eye over food so I fixed them a "safe" area. Maybe that was my error, I should just let them be? (Her eye has been doctored and is healing fine, its opened up and she didnt loose it thank God)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by