Roost idea...

mgarifo87

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 15, 2014
So the other day my fiancè had a brilliant idea and I though I would share it with you all!
1f603.png
You know those wooden laundry drying racks? Well we had an extra one just laying around so I cut it halfway down and added some braces and a half an hour later (only because I used a hand saw lol) I had two roosts for my chickens! I couldn't believe we hadn't thought of it before! We had built another one but it was too bulky for the size coop we have but this one is perfect!
hope you all like it
1f60a.png

Have they actually roosted on it yet? I would think the cross pieces might be too narrow. I'll be interested to hear how they like it.

I just placed it in there yesterday so far I have seen one on it lol but on the top dowel there is remnants of poo and feathers so I am hopeful. Roosts are kind of new to to them being that they are young but chickens are new to me so it's all a learning experience
1f60a.png
as well as with our quail. We decided on a both feet approach as opposed to a one toe at a time but I have found that we have learned a lot from both research as well as trial and error. Their first roost was a sawed off branch through 2 cinder blocks, their second one was too bulky for their coop (made from small 1x1's) starting in the spring they will be free range but we started with them late in the year and with having coyote, fox, and a bear sited only a few miles away and the hard winter we are coming into I get nervous about try to do free range now, so we are doing everything we can to maximize their space and make them comfy. Our coop is 4x6 and our run is 8x8 so if you have any suggestions I have open ears and we do plan on adding another 8x8 section to the run.

I am seriously thinking about this for my three week old chicks to teach them how to roost, and considering adding two by fours (flat side up), retrofitting a bit and seeing how it will work in my 4 x 4 coop with a poop hammock and just two roosting bars. May have to attach to sides of coop for stability, but then perhaps easily removable for a clean and hammock easily attachable.

I'm curious how this will work, especially since Silkies do not like to roost but are mainly bottom dwellers. But like Mobius said, it can be modified with 4 x4's or 2x4's and some stability on the sides. Not a bad idea!

Last edited:
So the other day my fiancè had a brilliant idea and I though I would share it with you all!
1f603.png
You know those wooden laundry drying racks? Well we had an extra one just laying around so I cut it halfway down and added some braces and a half an hour later (only because I used a hand saw lol) I had two roosts for my chickens! I couldn't believe we hadn't thought of it before! We had built another one but it was too bulky for the size coop we have but this one is perfect!
hope you all like it
1f60a.png
Doing this right now.

Back
Top Bottom