roost ideas

marlahelt

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2016
greencastle IN
We are about to finish our coop and I'm wondering about building something for their roost. I have converted then end of an outbuilding to house the 9 chicks and have an open corner where I'd like to build about a 3-4ft. roost with space underneath for a poop board. I'm open to ideas. I thought about part of an old tin roof since I have quite a bit of that laying around . . .or linoleum. How about some input from some of you pros? THANK YOU!

Your asking for what to use on poop board or for a roost?

Many use 2x4's flat side up. I don't see the point of that excepting more strength if a long roost and many birds. The thought is they crouch on feet with a wide roost so keep toes warm in winter. I use 2x2 stick lumber for roosts, actually for most of the construction of coop. I can tell you that most birds have enough fluff to cover their feet when grasping a 2x2. A stiff feathered bird like a Leghorn may not have depth of feathers but most birds do. 2x4's are counter productive if you don't want poop on things. They tend to get dirty.

Poop boards can be covered with any slick material you want that facilitates quick and easy scraping is a good idea. People use old taping knives for a scraper. I'd think a plastic wallpaper smoothie would work better on vinyl tile.

3-4 feet is not long enough of a roost for 9 birds. Sure once they get settled and squish together they can fit but need extra space to get settled in first or it can cause problems. Two roosts at same height of say foot over poop board and separated by a foot would work well. The whole thing doesn't need to be high up but then you want to be comfortable bending over to scrap the board. Find a good compromise and go with it. Large breeds can injure legs jumping from high places. I'd not go more than 3 feet high. Have a third roost offset from the poop board by 3 inches. They can jump to that then up over onto the roosts over the poop board.

Some variation of that theme seems reasonable to me. With the board that high you can easily have the nesting boxes under it. Using the poop board as the top of nesting box. Birds like to roost higher, never put nesting boxes at same level or higher than the roosts. They'll sleep in them and dirty up the nest and eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom