1. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    We're moving our chickens into a barn from their current coop. I'm looking for roost ideas. Anyone have pics of roost structures they have built? We'll want ours to hold about 30+ chickens. I've seen the ones with 3 or 4 rungs in a ladder-like design that I really like, but how do you keep the chickens from pooping on each other that way? We've got all sizes of chickens from the tiniest little BTW jap to a huge fat Tyson broiler (that we rescued from the side of the road), so the ladder idea is appealing to me for how far they are able to fly up.

TIA!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have the ladder style roost. They all try to roost on the top.

When I got more chickens, I added roosting bars at the level of the topmost rung. They all manage to get up there. I don't know if they climb the ladder to the top and move along to take up the space or if they fly or jump up there.

At night when I got out to close up, they are all on the top rung.

Chris

3. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

i just used branches or wood i had laying around i made different levels around the place but close to each other so they can fly up to the next levels and non of them poop on each other sometimes they do if the hens are walking under the roost but thats all .. i have little holes going into other parts of the barn at the very top of the stall their in and they fly up there and roost there to so they roost at places i didn't even make for them they found it by there self

4. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I didn't even think about them using the ladder type roost as a ladder! haha. I bet even my Tyson broiler will be able to hop up to the top... hmmm... I might have to make a few ladder roosts...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by