1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roost in brooder coop when

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by woodward farms, Apr 22, 2008.

1. woodward farms

woodward farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    northwest indiana
    at what age can you add a roost to a brooder coop. i have BR and RIR at what age can they sleep on a roost? and what size? and how high ?

thanks

2. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    My chicks are 4 weeks and 2 weeks, and they love their perch! As a matter of fact, my smallest chick started using it before the big girls! I started off with it close to the ground, they could literally step up on it as they walked around in the pine shavings. Then I moved it up to just above the tallest chick's head (about 6 inches) Last night I fixed it up higher, about 9 inches off the bottom of the brooder. I have bantams, and had ben using a thick stick as a roost.. but tonight it will be changed to a 1X2 so they have more stability and comfort.

Here's a pic of Bambi (2 weeks old) on the roost in the 6 inch position..

[​IMG]

and my tiny Bob, she was the first to hop up there!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. thepone

thepone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Dolores, Colorado
    I'm awfully new at this and wingin' it every day but for fun I stuck a stick in the brooder when the chicks were about 10 days old and within a day or two a couple of the Golden Comets had figured it out. They're now 2 1/2 weeks and I've seen up to 5 of the 12 hanging out on it. They're still sleeping in the shavings but hang out on the stick for fun.

4. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Yeah, last night 5 of my girls were on the roost at bedtime, and I thiught they might sleep there, but I found them this morning cuddling in the corner of the brooder.. so sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by