Roost ladders

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I see a lot of you have ladders going to your roosts. My roost is about 3' high, do I need a ladder going to it? My girls are still young, so not too heavy, but as they get older will they need one? They are orpingtons and rocks.

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    My roosts are 4' off the floor. My chicks ( 19 wks old) sometimes use the ladder and walk all the way up, sometimes only walk up a few steps and then jump the rest of the way, other times they fly up from the floor. Same thing on the return to the floor. sometimes using the ladder and sometimes just jumping down.
    So i think put in a ladder that way they have a choice. I used a ladder when they were in the tractor and the roost was only 18" from the floor, they still did the same thing as now. give them an option.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    At three feet high a ladder should not be necessary. Unless your talking a Jersey Giant or just really fat hens three feet is easy for the hens to get up on. Some will worry about bumble foot jumping off of roosts but in my experience they generally just jump off the roost instead of using the ladder.

4. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    My roost isn't three feet high, yet my cochin still can't manage to get onto it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by