Roost laying hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Jul 7, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have 2 buff orps and a black australorp laying now a egg a day. This morning 2 buff orp eggs and none from the ba. I found what looked like yoke on some wood shavings below the roost. Has anyone ever experienced a pullet laying an egg from the roost. I was thinking that she needed to lay in the middle of the night. I have to add no shell was found. John

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It has happend to me. I have no explanation why. The latest had a very thin shell. I had two thin shelled eggs in one day so I upped the oyster shells.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I've read that chickens can lay anytime but it's rare for it to be at night. Do yours have access to oyster shell all the time?

Sometimes chickens lay eggs that have no shell, or a partial shell - it isn't "normal" but usually isn't anything to worry about.

If a hen continued to lay eggs like that I'd probably considering culling her but ... that's just me. My girls do need to earn their keep (besides being sweet, cuddly, fun-to-watch, blood pressure lowing wonderful friends ... I need them to lay eggs).

4. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have never given oyster shells. I read here that all they need is layer pellets. I don't have a problem buying some and giving them some, just following directions from the experts here. John

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:Layer feed doesn't always provide enough calcium, especially if the birds spend a significant amount of time foraging.

6. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    With that said I will be off to the feed store this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by