1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roost location can be changed by stress after dark

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Sep 13, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have been having to some fun with some juvenile dominique crosses involving California greys and American games. The former are a bit shy on smarts and have proven problematic when come to getting them to stay with roost when it is moved. They simple want to go to original location while others will move with roost. Even when birds moved multiple times after dark, they keep returning to old spot next evening. I can get them to move by location by scaring them during moving process. Next night they move to new location but the dom x California grey still goes to wrong place. Birds also move to new location when flock member taken of roost by owl with victim screaming a lot before killed. The stress (preferably without owl or other baddy) might be management tool to promote birds moving to new location.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would move too! Did you figure out how to prevent them from roosting on the top?
    sharon

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Owl did it for me. Dog knocking birds off low roost and sniffing them roughly does same.

4. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Is this the new roost? The taller one? How is scoobs reaching them?
    sharon

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:No, new roost is on tomato trellis previously adjacent to a roost for one of my younger cohorts. I am attempting to consolidate roosts into one location to enable concentrating feces for composting.

6. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Ah, okay. I thought I had missed something.
    sharon

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Omitted detail. Intended new roost is elevated and 40 feet away but tomato trellis in use by numb dumbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by