roost materials

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggcited2, Jul 21, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    When making the roost for my chickens, is pvc ok to use? I remember we always had wood roosts when I was a kid, but my husband feels pvc pipe would not get poop encrusted and be easier to clean. But I think it would not give as good a grip as wood (the plastic would be slippery).

Also what size of roost. I am thinking of no less than 2 inches. Or would different sizes be better ( like 1 1/2, 1 3/4, and 2). I know with pet birds, different sizes of perches help stop feet and leg problems (bumble foot).

Round or square for the roost shape? Does it matter?

Hubby won't believe me on any of the ideas or suggestions, so need to get info from people who do know; which would be you [​IMG]

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I would think that the PVC would be slippery. I use to have rounded off roosts, used the large poles they use for hand rails from the home improvent store. Those worked pretty well, but for the last few years I have switched to 2x4's set so the chickens feet are standing on the 4 inch side of the board. This setup works best in cold winter areas as the birds can totally cover their toes with their body.

edited because I can't spell.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I am new to chickens, but I have used pvc for perches for my McCaw and Conure. Go over it with some corse sandpaper should take care of it being slippery. For even more grip use a dremel to make more pronounced groves in the pvc. Now that it's nice and rough you have lost the easier to clean that wood argument and you are back to where you started from! [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes, pvc would be much too slippery for chickens. And flattish would probably be best, although a really wide/thick branch (several inches diameter) would do okay too. Keep in mind that chickens don't grip onto roosts like most wild (and some tame) birds do. Yes, their toes curve down a bit, but they don't grip. So use wider vs. narror roosts (for LF, 2 inch minimum probably)...

5. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Agreed, PVC would be slippery. Wood is much better. A 2x4 set flat side up is perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by