Roost/Nestbox question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sklr112, Jan 5, 2011.

1. sklr112

sklr112 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Hey!

I am going to start building a new coop this weekend to accommodate 11 new chickens. It is going to be a 4' by 8' coop. The walls will be 8 feet high, but there will be an extra 2 feet between the rafters and ridge in the roof. So, 10 feet at the highest point. Here's my question:
    How high should i place the roost poles? I want to place them so they will be 4 feet across. Will placing them at 6', 7', and 8' be fine? Should I build them a ladder so they can get up easily... they are Barred Rocks. Also, how high off the ground should the nest box be? I know below the roost pole, but is between 4 and 5 feet too high? I didn't want to have to bend down to get the eggs... for my convenience lol.
    By the way, this is my second coop i've built... the first one i built wasnt so large. Just a 4 by 4 that was 4 feet high. So i couldnt walk in it.
    Anyways, give me your suggestions on my problems, thanks!

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:See my BYC page for my Coop/Roost pics. I used a ladder roost that is pivoted so I can lift it up out of the way when I remove the deep litter compost or other internal coop chores.

3. sklr112

May 23, 2010
    Oh neat idea, im starting to get some good ideas now, lol.

4. sklr112

May 23, 2010
    I just built an awesome nestbox, in my opinion. for the new coop of course. ill post pics later or tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by