roost paint

scooter147

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
Does anyone know where I can buy roost paint?
I found something on Murray McMurry but I don't think it is what I am looking for. I want something to control/elinimate scaley leg mites.

We just use used motor oil and paint it on the bottom of the roosts.

Some people thin the used motor oil with kerosene, or Linseed oil thinned with kerosene.

If you are using it for roost mites, you can also try dusting with Permethrin (spelling?). That is what finally worked for us last spring.
We tried DE and Sevin, which killed the mites on the birds, but not on the perches and pens.

Hope this helps.

For scaly leg mites, put vaseline on their legs to smother them, the mites, that is.

Last edited:
I am assuming I can use motor oil right out of the container? How often do I paint the roost?

How often do I do the vaseline thing? I went through three of those big containers last year and it didn't really seem to help. what a messy operation as well.

About half my flock of 30 is infected some much worse than others the other half not a sign.

I have had chickens for 40 years and last year was the first time I have every had scaley leg mite issues. I know it's those darn starlings that have infected my coop, hence why I declared war on them last year.

So far, Scooter approx. 600 and counting, starlings, millions and counting
wink.png

I plan on painting the perches again soon, since it is in the 80's here.

My DH has used motor oil that he needs to get rid of, so I'll use that. I only put it on the bottom of the roost so it doesn't get on the chickens feet. I used the permethrin powder on the rest of the perch. So far, so good.

I haven't had to deal with scaly leg mites, but I know there are a lot of suggestions if you search on BYC. I've heard that you can also use VetRx, Linseed oil, etc. Anything to smother those little buggers.

Good luck and hopefully you can get this all under control.

Back
Top Bottom