Roost / Perch height.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by invalidsession, Dec 31, 2008.

1. invalidsession

invalidsession Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Hi all, just a quick question about roost height in the coop.
    My son and I are adapting an old barn shed into a hen coop.
    The shed measures 15' X 9' with a headroom of approx 7' 6". It has a corrugated steel roof and outside wall while the back and inner wall are oak post and 4" X 2". Thanks to some of the advice I have recieved on this forum I have incorporated the adaptation to include a skylight and glazed panel door to allow light in..
    I am confused as to how high I should place the roosts. First I read that many birds prefer to get as high as possible so this afternoon we fitted two roosts, one at around 6' and the other at 5' with a third to follow at around the 2' 6" mark. Now I am reading that damage to the birds feet might occur when they jump down. The roosts are installed ramp fashion to prevent " poop bombing" but i'm concerned about the birds hurting themselves. Your sagacity and experience would be most welcome before we get to far along with the project.
    Thankyou all.

Chris & Nicholas.

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

HI, and Happy New Year! We have roosts that are about 5 ft off the floor and we've had some hens experience "sprained" legs. But it is usually the heavier breeds. The bantam, leghorns, hamburgs and sebrights have no difficulty and the RIRs seem okay with it and they ususally take the highest perches. Its a hard question to answer. I would rather just have them all about 3 ft off the ground on equally horizontal 2x4's. But that takes a lot of room.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My roost is about 4 1/2 feet. But there are a couple things for them to jump on to get up there. They jump up onto a hutch, then a shelf, and then their roost is a shelf too. On the other end I have a ramp that leads to a 2 inch wide roost then they can walk over to the shelf roost from there. They all fly down. I have RIRs a BR, an EE and a silkie that live together in the pen.

4. invalidsession

invalidsession Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Thanks for the speedy replies, and a Happy New Year !!
    I may have to reconsider the height since we plan to raise Orpingtons.
    We have staggered the roosts to allow for progressive jumping but it sounds like it may be a little too much for the larger birds to handle safely.
    Sooo much to learn but better to to seek the advice of those who have been there rather than cause discomfort through misguided ignorance.
    Thanks again,

Chris & Nicholas.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Can you build a ladder to the roosts. my roosts are at 2 ft and 4 ft. One reason is to have them higher than the nest boxes so they won't get in the habbit of sleeping in them and then poopy eggs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    My first roost is only 12 inches off the floor the second is 2' the third is 3' off the floor. I have large breed brahma and orps. They go up as they go back. I use a plastic box you could slid under a bed under the roost and empty often. I also use pine shavings a foot deep. Good ventilation and no problem. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by