• Just right

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

winteree

Songster
6 Years
Apr 5, 2014
We wear cowboy hats here guess where?
I have been asking different people what the height of the chickens roost pole should be and i have gotten a different answer from every person. I was thinking about having it at 12 inches off the ground of the chicken house that way they have plenty of head space the chicken house is 32 inches tall and i'm going to be raising large breed birds. But what do y'all think to high to low?

I'd go with no higher than 12" in a 32" house, they should be able to just pretty much jump on it without banging their heads there ....mine range from 12" to 48" high, but I have an 8 foot ceiling so there's plenty of room for flying up......

one of my coops my roosts are 2 and half feet high. my bigger coop I have 3 levels of roosts the lowest 15 inches and highest is 3 feet, it works great.

Can they be higher. Think mine are about 5 feet high but there's a ramp for them and the roof is like 9 feet high ??

What two breeds of chickens do you breed to get a blue laced wyandotte
well first you need a chicken that is "laced" Like a speackled sussex or a laced wyanddotte to begin with and then cross them with a "blue bird" like a Blue Orpington or a blue copper maran and just breed the chicks togather untill you get what you want but that is a very speific breed and it is recessive genes so only 1 out of ten birds look like a blue laced wyanddotte "should" and i have to say it would be a lot easyer to just buy the chicks online breeding birds takes time and space and 4 breeding pairs of birds can easyly become over 100 in the course of a few months.

Last edited:
I have chickens that roost in trees which in all honesty looks rediculous, but if they have the space they can go pretty high until they get too fat for their wings to support them...lol

Back
Top Bottom