1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    While working on my coop yesterday I was looking are re-arranging the placement of the roost. I need some help here. Where I was going to locate it I want to put the feeder and waterer. My problem is from one side wall to the edge of the exit door is 18 inches. From the door to the edge of the cleanout door is another 4 feet. This is located in a corner. So that gives me an 18"x48" area for the roost. Is the 18" in depth enough for two roost poles? I was planning on 10 inches off the wall with 10 inchs between each pole plus 10 inches on the vertical spacing. That would put the chicken's butt about 2 inches from the edge of the door. Is that to close?
    I hope y'all can understand my question and possible problem. Figuring out the ladder situation is another thing altogether.

pt

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you mean two roosts at equal distances from the floor (and if I'm understanding you) I think it would work, assuming you don't get huge chickens. Do you know what breed you're getting?

I'm probably much worse at picturing something like this as you are at explaining it....

3. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My coop is 5x8. The exit door is on one 5' wall. The roost would run parallel down the 8 foot wall. One roost pole would be 32 inches off the floor and the other 22 inches. The one closest to the wall is the 32 inch one. The other one would be 10 inches in front of and 10" below the 32 inch one. I just wouldn't want the hens crapping on each other and in the path to go outside. I'm trying to fit this in the 18 inch area.

As far as breed, I'm thinking SexLink, RR, Doms, and I'm looking at a few more. I'm planning on 10.

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I have experimented and found:

Distance between roost and wall: anything less than 9", the birds would look uncomfortable. 10" would be ok but 12" would be ideal.

Distance between roosts: the closest I tried is 12". It is OK. They do not poop on each other but do brush up. 16" works the best. Since your roosts have 10" difference in elevation, the birds probably wont rub.

5. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Thanks. I'll go with what I was planning. It is good to know someone elses opinion.

pt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by