Roost question

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Trying to decide which is better.

Using 2x4 for roost. Currently they are position with the narrow end up (1.5 inches). I am getting ready to add an open air extension for our hot summer nights here in Central Texas.

Questioning if it is better for the chickens to rest on the wide part of the 2x4 (3.5 inches).

Any opinions? Thanks.

Trying to decide which is better.

Using 2x4 for roost. Currently they are position with the narrow end up (1.5 inches). I am getting ready to add an open air extension for our hot summer nights here in Central Texas.

Questioning if it is better for the chickens to rest on the wide part of the 2x4 (3.5 inches).

Any opinions? Thanks.
We do the wide portion for our girls.

You'll find many people staunchly advocating one way or the other. I'm not on either side because I use natural "branches" since pine saplings are a weed on my property while 2x4's cost money. :D

The owners care more than the chickens do.
So do you look for a certain width when getting your branches? Do you remove the bark? We have a plethora of trees - oak, mesquite, bullwood.

I wondered this too, when I set up my coop. I went with narrow side up. I have never seen any sign of frostbite on my chickens' toes. They settle down with their feathers over their feet, and you can't see their toes.

I set them this way because I'd read about chickens getting a "breast blister" on their keel bones from the bone rubbing against the roost. Some of the pictures were... graphic, to say the least.

So do you look for a certain width when getting your branches? Do you remove the bark? We have a plethora of trees - oak, mesquite, bullwood.

We used good thick ones to span 6-8 feet with support only at the ends. Somewhere between as thick as my wrist and thicker than my husband's wrist.

I know -- that's super-useful. 🤣

I didn't bother taking the bark off. It's rough enough for a good grip and not actually jagged or sharp.

Some people say that bark could give mites places to hide, but I haven't had a mite problem and figure I could just burn my perches and cut new ones. :)

I use a sapling too. I removed the bark when I meant to build a round wood style post and beam coop. It hasn't caused problems that I can notice but if I cut another for a roost, I probably won't remove the bark. Then I can decide which seems to work better.

I used the biggest one I had because it spans over 7' with no center support. It is about 2 - 3" in diameter. They've never had sores or frozen toes (in two years.) I also haven't had any mites or anything but I don't think that has anything to do with the kind of roost they use.

I'm in the people care more than the chickens do camp.

One roosted on the top of the 1x4 boards that surround the poop board. When two others joined her (after many months), I blocked off that end. Now they all sleep on the roost despite still having six feet of 1x4 to roost on if they wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom