Roost Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Airilith, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I need some roost suggestions. Below are two pictures of my coop.

Outside view:
    [​IMG]

Inside view: [from inside one of the nest boxes]
    [​IMG]

So any ideas on how to work at least one roost into my setup? Would those 2x4s on edge work as at least a low roost?

Thanks!!!

2. cowpunkmom

cowpunkmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Well, the girls ARE gonna roost on them....

What a beautiful coop!

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sure, I think they will roost on the lower 2x4s, but will it be enough? It's hard to tell how big you tractor is. How many chickens of what size will live in it?

That might help you get more replies.

Seems like you could easily screw in another 2x4 across the lower roosts.

4. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Nice design! [​IMG] I think the 2x4 could be roosted on, and they probably will but I would put some sort of stick/pole lengthwise in the coop as well though.
    Also, I noticed you have sliding locks on the doors. Raccoons could easily open them if they wanted to. So unless the coop is really close to the house, or you have a good guard dog, or don't have too many raccoons around, I would put another type of lock on as well that they wouldn't be able to open such as one often found on mini barns that you can put a master lock or combination lock on, just in case, so even if they did open up the sliding locks, they still cant get in. Safety first, remember, it only needs to happen once. I don't know if you'd rather like to lose all your beloved chickens or spend $1.29 on a lock at Wal-Mart, but I sure choose the latter part. [​IMG]

5. Airilith

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Well the enclosed part is 8'x3.5'. And I'll have 4 standards and 3 silkies in there (at least until the roo/s gets bigger). I know I measured the height inside, but for the life of me I can't remember. But I'm thinking it was like 2.5' high.

And Amy, racoons can really open those? Wow!!! I'll have to replace them. Thanks for the tip.

The coop was a freebie, so I've been making modification to my liking over the last few weeks. Like it now has two windows (not shown in picture).

EDIT: What about putting another 2x4 on its side right above the nest boxes? I'm just concerned about putting it high enough to walk under, and yet low enough they won't be smacking their heads on the ceiling.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  6. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    OK, well your Silkies won't care about roosting - they just pile up together.

The four standards will have a desire to roost high. Right now, they will probably try to sleep on the nest box roof. You can fix that by stuffing a thin triangular piece of plywood at the end of the building so it doesn't look inviting (looks like solid wall to them - you don't have to make it sturdy just get it to stay propped up in there. (This will also keep them from pooping on it since it is harder to reach.)

Then run two more supports across the main frame on the outside of your two middle supports just below the height of current nest box roof . Screw in a 2x4 across those.

Or use a 1x4 across there.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Hmmm OK What about getting a couple of roofing angle brackets to support a roosting bar from just one side. Then they should have plenty of room to go around on the other side. (I think)

8. Airilith

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    If they'd want to roost on top of the nesting boxes, can I just let them do that? To aid in cleaning I could put like a plastic tray or something.

9. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, you can let them roost up there if you want to clean it. I let one of my chickens roost on the nest boxes, I just know that after cleaning the poop drawer out, I also have to clean after her. I keep thinking I can put something up there to prevent it, but, I guess we are both used to it:/.

Are you sure it will support the weight of a chicken or two? The nest roof didn't seem very sturdy, maybe add some blocking underneath it.

10. Airilith

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    They are alot stronger than they look. When I got the coop I could defnitely tell that it had been a favorite hang out. Soooo much poop. I may just add a few bracers to be sure, though. And I've got a few pieces of linolium that I can put up there to aid in cleaing.

Then I can add some real roosts underneath the coop for them to hang out on during the day if they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by