Roost question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mamakelly, May 15, 2010.

1. mamakelly

mamakelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Our chicken coop is coming along. I was wondering what I should use for roosts? Do they need to round, like a stick? I'm keeping 5 chickens. How many roosts do I need to have? Should they be at different heights or at the same height?

2. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Hi there.

From what I've been reading, most folks swear by 2x4's with the edges rounded off a little, with the wide side facing up. This way, the chickens can rest with their feet flat, and cover them with their feathers in cold weather. Otherwise they might be susceptible to frostbite. Standard sized birds need about 1 foot of roost space. They will snuggle in together, and actually sleep using only about 8 inches of space, but you want to account for wing flapping, space adjusting, etc. If things are too tight, it could make for grouchy hens. I've seen people using roosts all the same height, and staggered heights, but evidently there is less bickering when the roosts are all the same height, as you don't have dominate hens trying to keep the less dominate ones on the lower roosts, although that may also depend on how much crowding there is.

Hope that helps! [​IMG]

3. elem

elem Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Vancouver
    I'm no expert but here's what I've learned:
    - 2x4's with the 4" side up make good roosts
    - Depending on breed of chicken I think you need 10-12" or roost space per bird
    - Some put roosts at the same height to avoid pecking order squabbles, others use a ladder style without problems - use what works best in your space

Hope that helps!

ETA: Oops, MoxieChicks beat me to it [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Flat is better than round, that's true. I use natural tree branches for roosts. I pick ones that are wide enough for my bantams' feet to be mostly flat. I pick ones that have smooth bark, no sharp edges, and clean them well first to makes sure they're not infested with mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by