Roost question?

oldegger

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Monclova, OH
After seeing a number of posts that recommended 2x4's on the flat with rounded edges in colder climates(NW, OH)
That's what I built. Only my lady's will not roost on them. 3 hens will roost on the 1/2 inch plywood brace that supports one end of the roosts.
What works for you?

I have been using some thick, long branches of different thicknesses. So far everyone seems fine with this setup. Although my newest additions are heavy birds and as they are growing, I see I'll need to support the branches a bit in the center. All of my sumatras could gather on one branch and be fine.

Had tons of free tree branches. But Nooo I was concerned about frozen toes. Guess I should have payed more attention to the objections of the ladies on the coop building communy

Last edited:
We are using an old barn ladder cut to fit into the coop. The rungs are pretty fair size. When our hens were young they didn't seem to want to roost. DH put pieces of plywood on every other rung to see what they liked best. It turns out that some like the flat and some perfer the rung.

I use the 2x4s with the flat side up and all my chickens and guineas roost on them.

Chickens certainly have different personalities so I could see how some would prefer one type of roost over another. If you can offer different kinds of roosts then do it and see what they chose.

They will roost on branches and such, but the big reason for doing a fairly wide piece is to keep their feet from freezing in the winter climates. Also, take a look at how long their feet are. Generally they are not curled branch type of roosters (as in perching, not males). Mine all fight to be as high up as they can be. NO ONE is content to be below the others. Silly things.
smile.png

The branches worked well here last winter. Zone 4 in the Tug Hill region. We had plenty of cold and tons of snow. I only had the sumatras then and their feet are small. They have horses in the next two stalls and the barn is always at least 10 degrees warmer than outside. Now you have me worried that my big footed birds (brahmas and australorps) might need another choice. I'm headed out there now to put up some 2x4's just in case:)

FWIW...

I am using 2x2's and they seem fine with it. Of course, they all want to be on the highest roost and that worked for a while...now that they are larger...some are having to drop down one...and I suspect they aren't happy about it. LOL

I went ahead and remounted the 2x4 roosts with the narrow edge up. Got a 60% approval rating(6 out of 10 are using the roosts now)

Back
Top Bottom