Roost question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amynrichie, Mar 18, 2013.

1. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    I have 31 chicks currently and plan to only keep about a dozen or so for layers. We have assorted heavy breeds for meat birds. My question when building the roosts is this: Do I need to account roost space for ALL of the birds, or can I cut down on roost space since the majority of the birds will not be here after maturity?

Thanks for your help,
    Amy

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm always glad I have extra roost space.... but that's me, the chicken hoarder.

3. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    I'm short on space since hubby downsized my coop plan. Now I"m trying to find the most space efficient roost plan. I'm thinking if I'm a little stingy on per bird space NOW, then after butcher, the layers will have plenty of room.

(That gives me another year to add on or re-think the meat bird plan.)

4. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    Any thoughts?

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    31 birds needs plenty of coop space. How large is your coop? I would find a plan with ample roost bars if you can. With the lack of roost space, there will squables for a roost spot. The birds at the top of the pecking order will be on the roost bars.

6. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    I can fit 24 feet of roost space which is about 9 inches per bird until the end of August. Then that will be about 24 inches per bird, (after butcher.) The coop is 8X12, plus an outdoor run which is about 3 times that size.

7. 4 the Birds

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Ah.... That sounds OK then. Nice big run! I also have a long roost bar in the covered run. [​IMG]

Hey we need pictures!!

[​IMG]

8. srm220

srm220 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    what kind of chicken is that big brown one in the front? that must be one major league meat chicken"[​IMG]

9. 4 the Birds

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    [​IMG] Unfortunately that one does not lay eggs! [​IMG] He sure likes to eat the grain and cracked corn that I throw on the ground for the smaller ones though! [​IMG]

10. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    [​IMG]
    Here are my chicks on day 1. They are <48 hours old in this picture. They were hatched 3/8/13

[​IMG]
    Here they are at 2 1/2 weeks old. They just love the roost. Its amazing how fast they grow. The dark EE chick just to the right of the feeder is 1 week older than the rest, but they are catching up fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by