Roost questions from a beginner.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhschulz2000, Mar 19, 2012.

1. rhschulz2000

rhschulz2000 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2011
    My 9 Plymouth Rock (3 white, 3 barred & 3 partridge) arrived from Meyer Hatchery on March 13 and are doing great. I would appreciate some help with the following roost questions.

• At what age should they start to roost.
    • How far off the floor should the roost initially be? I plan to have just one roost board.
    • When do I move it up higher and what should the final height be?
    • My nest boxes are on the opposite wall and have a bar if front of them for the chickens to land on. Does the roost bar need to be higher than the next box bar?

Thanks for your response.

Bob[​IMG]

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    First off, glad your chicks are doing well!
    My chicks started roosting at around one to two months of age, before that they just squatted on the floor of their brooder and ignored the roosts. So around a month, put in something low for them, we started off with a foot off the ground. Soon after moving out into the coop (where the taller roosts are - two-three feet?) they abandoned their old "cubby house" which we put in with them to help the transition, and started sleeping up on the taller roosts.

As for the roosts and nest boxes, I don't have any advice on that because we've never used nest boxes. :lol:

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    My chicks started roosting at about a week old. We placed a very skinny dowel in the brooder about 2 inches off the floor and they all used it with days of practicing. They are 3 weeks old and just moved to the big girl brooder in the garage yesterday and that one has 2 different roosting poles a lot wider in width maybe a 1 1/2 inch width dowel at 2 different heights one about 6 inches off the floor the other about 10 inches and they have gotten up on both. The roosting poles in the coop are about 3 feet off the floor the whole length of the back wall. My guess for the the roosting poles and nest box pole would be to have the roosting poles higher other wise you may end up with your girls trying to roost over the nest box entrance blocking other girlss from getting into the nest box and also cause a mess on the floor that the girls entering to lay an egg will have to walk through and then dirty the nest area even more. But im new at this so im not positive.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  4. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Higher roosts are a good protection from predators. if left to themselves , it's their natural instinct to roost up in trees.

5. Gumpwhite

Gumpwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Most of mine roost at a week as well. Im kinda new at this as well so I just go on the chicks. I use the legs from and old chair. One perch is about 3inches off bottom, the other 2 inches above that usually don't see any chicks on the top til they are 2-3 weeks old. Matter of fact if I forget to close the top they will get on the top roost and try and make a break for it.. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by