roost rails near always-open ventilation — OK or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blissed, Jul 22, 2013.

1. blissed

blissed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    S.F. Bay Area
    Is it a bad idea to have roost rails near a window we plan to keep open? (Screened with hardware cloth, of course.) We live in a moderate climate — nighttime lows are between 40 and 60 degrees.

We're converting a playhouse in a narrow spot in our yard into a coop, and I'm trying to fit everything in around the current structure. The opening into the secure run will stay open, plus there are three 18"x24" windows, triangular openings at the top of the two short walls, and a 1" open strip along the tops of the long walls. I'm trying to decide how many need shutters. It's a narrow spot without much room for opening and closing windows.

I couldn't find an answer browsing the forums, but if I overlooked a thread, please point me in the right direction. Thanks for any tips!

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I recently added a new roost in my coop. The girls have no problem getting on the top 2 rails, but seem hesitant to get on the lower rails because they are next to open hardware cloth covered spaces. I guess they don't feel as safe being next to open areas. I am going to have to cover some of the open areas so they will roost on the lower rails.

3. blissed

Jul 22, 2013
    S.F. Bay Area
    Thanks for the input — much appreciated. Figuring out how to convert the structure so it works well for the chicks and me is proving harder than I expected!

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My chickens vie for the roost space in front of the ventilation(wire covered opening). They seem to like to sit and look out as it gets darker and darker, until they drop off to sleep. Chickens like to be up, so they will want the top roosts if available.

Chris

5. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    You are most likely projecting why your chickens don't roost on the lower rails. Actually, they are roosting on the top rails because chickens will roost as high as they can get because it is safer from ground predators. This is instinct. It has nothing to do with the lower rails being next to the hardware cloth window. My top roost is near open hardware cloth covered windows on both ends. The chickens have no problem roosting next to the open windows.

6. SpicySalsa

SpicySalsa Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    I have windows in my coop that I can open and close and they also have the hardware cloth because I didn't trust the screens to keep the critters out. I have been keeping them open all day and night while the weather is nice and the roost is at window height and I have another roost about a foot above that is above the window. 3 of my 4 girls prefer the lower roost with the window and my smallest hen likes the highest roost. I think your fine.

7. dogsthatwork

dogsthatwork Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Mine love their inside roosts up high right at the ventilation areas[​IMG]

8. blissed

Jul 22, 2013
    S.F. Bay Area
    Thanks all for the advice. The chicks have happily settled in on the highest roost, right up agains the screened window like dogsthatwork pictured above. It was funny seeing them jockey for position — just one roost, but they all noticed that there's a little bit of extra wood at one end that gives one chicken a 1" advantage in height... silly things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by