1. srfrgrl

srfrgrl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Hello all,
    I'm building my very first coop and I was wondering about the regulations on the roost. I was reading other posts where it says it should be 18" from the wall which I think I can manage but I was wondering how wide should the roost be for the chickies feet (so I'm talking width of board not from wall to wall) and also how much headspace should I allow? I have a VERY non-traditional, home-made, one-of-a-kind sort of coop so I'm sure I will need to make adjustments but any info is appreciated. Thank you! [​IMG]
    Judy

2. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    I like to use 2x3's for the roost because it gives them the flat surface to be on but unlike a 2x4 it dosnt collect the poop. 18 inches from the wall is good. and headroom depends on how far from the ground the roost is, if its a little jump for them you can get away with less headroom, if its a flight you need more. 18 inches is good for a short jump. 2 ft for a longer flight I think.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

This is what I use, and no issues yet. The coops was actually our very first construction project EVER [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used 2x2's for my roosts. The chickens love them.

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Judy, First of all, welcome to BYC! Roost height is a topic of many opinions. Some people like low, some like high. I tend to go by what the chickens like.....most seem to want to be as high as possible. That is if ya got the room for them to fly up and land safely or a ramp or ladder to sid them in getting up. I have small birds that roost in the rafters, and large Wyandottes and Orphingtons that go as high as 7' on roosts in one of my coops. I feel that if ya build roosts of varying heights, they will adapt. If build them all one height they will adapt. Rule of thumb is roost 3"-4" wide so they can cover their feet with body to keep feet warm. Also, build roosts above the nest boxes to discourage them from wanting to roost in or on the edge of nest boxes. And be sure to keep them off the wall at least 10"-12" to keep from having poop covered walls. I use deep litter method, and still have poop trays under roosts. To me, easier to clean poop from tray into tote for compost pile, than scoop poop off floor. Just my very humble opinion. I love my chickens, but am not a pooper scooper like some folks on this site. don't see any joy or benefit in that. good luck,
    Erik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by