Roost remodel- any ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GammaPoppyLilyFlutter, Apr 10, 2011.

1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I have two coops. A little A-frame that my EE's and Cochin live in and a big coop that my GSL's live in. But the A-frame dwellers are ready to move in with the big chickens.

However, I have a problem with the roosts

[​IMG]

The GSL's like to smush onto the round roost, but if I put the little ones on the rectangular roost they's get pecked since they would be right in front of the GSL's faces.

But that's not the only problem with my roosts

[​IMG]

The roosts are too high. And my chickens like to go on the roosts as late as possible. But if it's too dark, they have some trouble getting onto the roosts. And even when it's light they sometimes slip and fall off when they try to jump up.

The roosts are a about 3 or 3.5 feet above the bottom of the coop. There'a a window facing the setting sun right in front of their roosts, but they still have trouble getting up.

Any ideas on where I should put the roosts? I want to have one roost a bit father apart than others for the little ones to sleep on at first where they can't get pecked.

Here's what I'm thinking:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I had to re think my roosts too.

I had a hard time "seeing" your designs, my fault not yours. But this is what I did to add space and make it easier for them to get up at night

I added a short low starting off point roost above the pop door, added a second roost across the coop at a height between the regular roosts and the new low pop door one.

If you have new to the flock gals, it seems the higher pecking order hens pick their spots and the lower ones take what is left. By having mine at two different levels, the meanies leave the lower hens alone. The rooster picks his special spot and no one seems to challenge him on it.

I had to change to accommodate the elderly roo

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:Thanks! I did what you said and at first the chickens were confused, but they eventually settled in. Put in a lot of roosts in different shapes and sizes for the best comfort [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by