1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roost set up for a lot of birds in a small space?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by charcharbinx, Mar 31, 2016.

1. charcharbinx

charcharbinx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    Kentucky, USA
    I have approx 50 to 60 birds, with only 6 being adults so far.

They're 100% free range.

I have an approx 15x10 room in my barn for their coop.

I can't build another coop, and don't want to thin out my birds, so I need ideas on how to utilize my space better.

They're only in there to lay or roost so, I think the space is sufficient for that seeing how they're free range. I have 14 nesting boxes and I feel like that is sufficient. Pics of current set up now to follow.

Ideas for roost set up for all these birds?[​IMG]

2. charcharbinx

Feb 23, 2016
    Kentucky, USA
    [​IMG]

3. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I think I would make for roost bars across the 15 foot span. That gives you room for 60 birds. Some people build a ladder type roost that would also work. My personal preference is to have the chickens all at one level. I'm not sure you could do that with the space you have. Where are the nesting boxes?

4. charcharbinx

Feb 23, 2016
    Kentucky, USA
    They're along the wall not pictured in these photos. They're not covered boxes, so I couldn't put roosts above them unless I used different boxes. ooh I didn't think of that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by