1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roost size for guineas?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by watchdogps, Jul 13, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    What size perch should I give guineas to roost on? Adult birds.

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    We cut branches for ours about 4 inches in diameter as roosts. But I think they would do fine with a two by four laid flat and rounded off a little on the edges. That's what we have in the chicken coop and chicken feet are more or less the same size.

3. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    I read somewhere 2 1/2 round is best since they can grab around the branch.

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I usually offer different sizes and surfaces and they choose where they want to be: assorted sizes of barkless branches (bark can harbor mites), some 2"x4"s, some 2"x2"s, round 2" poles, and even some roosting shelves. In my newest coop most of the Guineas like to sleep/lay/roost on top of the built-in 4'x8' brooder, even tho they have higher perches and branches to choose from lol.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. TexGardenGirl

TexGardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    northeast of Dallas
    Quote:We use 2x4s laid flat and they do just fine. Never had any problem at all with it.

6. natron96

natron96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    clarkston washington
    2/4 laid flat as high as you can get it

7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

I use two by threes because they fit perfectly in the chain link holes of the dog kennel panels. And as high as I can get them. When I use Aviary panels I use two by fours with two nails pounded in each end spaced to fit the aviary wire spacing. Then those nails fit perfectly through the wire and I safety wire over the two nails. Just a couple a figure eights are enough to keep that board securely fastened (lets me move them easily)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by