Roost size for the little guys

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoneCowboy, Oct 23, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I'm going to build some training roosts for my little fluffy balls today. They roost on everything else, I might as well try to get them to do it on the right things. [​IMG]

How wide should they be? These little ones are only 3 weeks. I was thinking just 1.5 inches should take them up to 7+ weeks. Heck my big girls, 15 weeks, seem to prefer the 1.5 inch ones to the 2.5 inch ones anyway. But is 1.5" too big at this age?

2. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    my hubby just made a perch last week for my little girlies - they're 3 weeks old too - out of pieces of a broken baby-gate. the roost part is probably about 1.5" wide and they LOVE it... obviously, they can't get their feeties around it, but they like to perch on it anyway - seems like someone's always up there. it's about 14" inches high (just higher than the top of their feeders - mason jar size, which sit on bricks...). i tried a small dowel in there (parakeet/lovebird size...) but they kept falling off - i think that the youngsters like the wider footing anyway! think small shelf, not large perch!

[​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We used sections of 1" by 2" lumber for roosts when our Banties were babies, it was perfect for them. They also liked 2" by 4"'s and tree branches.

Click on pix for bigger versions...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dawn

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Thanks for the input. This is what I ended up with. This is my brooder coop, so everything has to come out easy and change sizes as they grow. The roosts are on stands that can be easily removed. I would have just mounted them on the wall, but the wall is only 1/8" thick and wouldn't hold up.

[​IMG]

5. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    That looks like someone did an awesome job there! [​IMG]

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:I'll second that!!! Wow!!! [​IMG]

Dawn