roost size

gproduce

Hatching
9 Years
May 12, 2010
I have in my coop a piece of Manazanita limb approx 2 in in diameter and 5 ft long for 5 chickens. Some perch on the roost and some perch on the 2x4. Is the perch to big in diameter? I have 2 Rhode Isl, 2 Ameracauna, 1 Plymouth Rock. Confused

Depending on the age of your chickens, the Manzanita branch size seems ideal. I used limbs from our Willow Oak which are between 2 and 4 inches in diameter and most of my 6 week old chickens use them. Occasionally one or two will elect to sleep on a smaller limb, but I think that is more of a pecking order issue than the size of the roost.

Are all of the roosts at the same height? If not, you might consider putting them all at the same height if space allows.

I have no clue what Manazanita is...lol...but a 2" diameter limb is not too big. I have a 2x4 and a 2x2 roost in my coop, and one or two birds always end up on the 2x2. Outside in my run, I have a thick tree branch and a couple of 2x4 roosts. My girls almost never use the branch for some reason; they did a bit when they were young pullets, but not now that they are more hen-like. Chickens' toes don't curl around branches like most wild birds, so they don't hold on with their feet. Maybe that's why yours (and mine when in the run) prefer the 2x4s???
hu.gif

Sometimes it's difficult to know what goes on in little chicken brains. Your roost sounds like it's just the right size. Mine roost on 2x2's and natural branches. I think they choose which one based more on WHERE the roost is located than on what it's made of. I don't think there's anything wrong with what you've done.

Manzanita might be a tad too slippery for a chicken. They're usually used for parrot perches.

Back
Top Bottom