Roost Size

WetHen

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 8, 2008
My still growing hens are happily roosting on a closet rod -- it's 1-3/8 inches in diameter. I've read that the ideal size for a roost is 2 inches in diameter. Is the small size roost a problem for full grown hens? I have some full-size cochins and buff orps so some pretty big birds when they are mature.

I would recommend a 2" x 3" board, with the 3" side up. Chicken's toes don't curl & grip the way songbirds and parrots toes do.

I'm sure other's will voice an opinion too.

Hello all.

I read that i t is best to use a 2x4 for roost material. Got it.

Now how far off the wall should the roost be so they do nnot poop all down the wall?

Will a four foot long roost be suitable for six hens? I would prefer not to have more than one roost and keep it over the removable poop bin. I am afraid if I put any lower ones the hens will just poop on one another. :eek:

Next is if My roost is at say five foot high, will I need to put in a latter for them. If so, should the latter be solid, if not, how far apart should the steps be? I am thinking of building the latter out of 2x2's if that would work.

So come on you experts help this dilly girl build her ladies the very best efficient coop possible.
smile.png

When you say, 3" side up ... do you mean that they are actually standing (roosting) on the 3" side? Thanks.

Hi Yes from what I haev picked up the chickens need the larger area to stand on. Thus why they recommend not using rods etc.

I am going to use 2 X 4's for my roosts with the 4" side up. That way my chickens can just sit/balance comfortably without wearing their little toes out trying to grip a board all night long!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom