1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    As some of you know I built a roost with 3 poles. Each one is 54 inches long. For the last week I've been thinking I had them to close to each other. So I removed the middle one to see if the chickens liked it any better. The top one is 12 inches off the wall the bottom one is 18 from the top one. Last night those chickens were so bundled up on one end I could have put 12 more chickens up there. Does that mean I can get a few more for my space or should that space on the roost just be left void? I would like to get 4 more. I've found some layers close by for $10 each I would like to get, but I won't crowd um up on the roost.

Thoughts?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Rule of thumb is 10" to 12" per bird for large fowl. Mine group together and use much less at times; at others, they spread out more, not just in hot weather, but to keep some distance from one another for the pushy ones and the lower in pecking order ones. I have one pullet who grew up alone who won't get on the roost unless she is about 3' from anyone. Just depends on your flock. I have a lot more roost space than I need (used to have more chickens) and there are times I'm glad they can spread out.

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Spacing really depends more on coop size than roost area. My girls always crowd on the roost together leaving lots of extra room but I go by the 4 sq foot of coop per chicken. Hope this helps!

4. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The only time the chickens are in the coop is bed time and laying time. I feed outside and most of the day the run door is open so they spend a lot of time lookingfor bugs and such. The coop is 5X8 with external nest boxes. Oh yeah, I have 8 total. I'd like to have 12.

5. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Being in Georgia you probably leave your run door open year round. In the dead of winter here, the girls didn't spend much (if any) time in the run, I have added a roof to the run so I am hoping they spend more time outside this winter instead of "cooped" up in their coop! [​IMG] What's your run size? Rule of thumb for run space is 10 sq ft per chicken so maybe if you use that figure...

6. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My run is 15X15 with a 4X8 area under the coop.

7. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    With all that outside space available year round I would go for it! Remember it will take awhile for new chickens to be accepted by your current chickens...and maybe offer food and water inside as well as at least water outside to lessen competition!

8. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Quote:Based on your dimensions, I would concur that 12 is definitely do-able.

I too have a flexible set up and have experimented. My "research" indicates that the roost can be as close as 9" edge to wall, minimum 16" between roosts edge to edge. Sometimes, my flock likes to park 6 birds on a 3-foot roost.

9. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Ole Rooster, Ya got the room...get ya a few more girls.
    Erik

10. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Well dadgum.........I guess I'll just have to make a phone call. This lady has a 4X10 coop and 4 hens for $300. I don't have the money for the coop but I do the chickens.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by