1. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi All,

This is a strange question, but I am converting an 8x10 shed to a coop for my girls as I already have too many for the current coop and want more. I will be installing my own roosts, nesting boxes, etc. What is the ideal space between roosts horizontally? I want at least 2 at different heights, for different ages of birds, but I don't want the birds on the high roost pooping on the lower birds. I also need to be able to clean, but as roosts will be in the back, should not be a problem,

Thanks
    Alice

2. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    I believe the roosting bars should be 12 inches away from the walls and 15 inches between roosts.

3. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote for 12 from the wall and 18 between the roosts. That's what I've heard. I have only 9 inches (half of that 18) from the wall - with nary a problem with poo on the wall so far - and 18 inches between the roosts with no problems from my dual-purpose flock.

Love, Smart Red

4. Gelotri

Gelotri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    I have five roosting bars spaced 14 inches apart and staggered (stair-stepped). This accomodates all 19 of my birds (2 roosters and 17 hens) with room to grow. The staggering allows them all to populate the roost without worrying about gifts from those above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by