Roost standoff?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sog1997, Jan 25, 2011.

1. sog1997

sog1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    I was sitting with my chickens this evening and had an encounter of sorts. Being new to chickens I am not sure what was going on and thought someone might share their knowledge of chickens with me. After feeding I often sit down on a 4x4 and become small chicken bed for a few of my wyandottes. My wyandotte rooster is just beginning to be sexually active ( almost 6 months old, and seems to keep after our lone guinea hen. They are the same age to the day. I hatched the guinea, sole survivor of the lot of eggs from the incubator. I went out and picked up the wyandottes the next day for company for her. My older hens are just 6 weeks older. Everytime I go into the coop he attempts to mate with her. 2 times a day I am in there. I dont know what is going on the rest of the day. I have not seen him go after any other hens yet. He has pecked me a few times and I have pushed him around as a counter measure. He never has come back for more after a shove. tonight, he pecked my hand and good..when i shooed him away from the guinea. I pick him up regularly, or hold him from getting away from me. I think he knows I am not competition, and I am not afraid. This is what happened next. He went from one side of me, standing up tall, chest stuck out forward and barely bumped my arm, immediately, climbed over my out streched legs and did the same thing to my other side. He did this back and forth 5 times. Seemed as if he was wanting to get behind me but I sit up against the wall. I was speaking to him during this exchange and when he got real close i would reach out and pat him. He did not peck at my hand at all, just walked to my other side and approached me directly and bumped my arm with his chest. I dont know if the was trying to face me down, get behind me for an attack or for a mount. What are your thoughts?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    He was trying to be the dominant roo, and you need to make it clear to him that you are the dominant roo. You challenged him for that role by interfering with his attempt to mate. You aren't going to stop his mating the guinea. When he grows up a bit he will no doubt mate the rest of them as well, if he isn't already. Did you know that a chicken and a guinea can produce a cross?

3. sog1997

sog1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    I had no idea a chicken and a guinea could reproduce. Since it seems I am crazy when it comes to chickens, something I never would have expected.... I was wondering last night if maybe I should refrain from sitting with them for a bit. Just so he realizes I am not a roo after his girls. He did the same approach as the night before. I told him he was fine, I am not interested in his ladies. He watches me and i am fairly certain he did not understand what I said. He is not being aggressive or nasty. He is not pecking me at all, yet. I just figure if he doesnt need to challenge me it is in everyone's best interest.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think he views you as a romantic interest.[​IMG] He is just trying to figure out, "Now, just how do I approach this big girl." A male with truly eclectic tastes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by