1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roost Suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MWright936, Oct 27, 2016.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Below is a photo of the inside of my coop. When I designed the roost, I didn't know the dimensions I needed. As you can see, the girls are pretty cramped on that top rung. My coop has a sloped roof, the exit to the run to the right, nest boxes to the left, and the doors I have open have large, screened openings. Any suggestions for redesigning a roost that would give the girls more room and not block the exit or nest boxes? I also wouldn't want to put them too close to the doors since they would be against the open screen and would get cold in the winter. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Could you just put a bar from approximately where the top bar is resting on the right side of the photo, going straight across to the matching area on the left? It wouldn't block the nest box or door.

4. MWright936

MWright936 Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Thank you for the ideas! I'll have to see what I can do. I'll post an update when I get something figured out.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    My Roost....

Cheers!

6. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    What do you have on the floor?

7. chickens really

Sand...I use sand in my Coop and Run....

Cheers!

8. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I've been really thinking about getting sand, my run is really muddy when ever it rained and when the snow melts. Would sand help with that? And how expensive is it?

9. chickens really

The initial cost depending on what you need can be a bit high....But you will save in a year on other bedding....We got it from a local place that sells sand, dirt and other stuff....It would work to stop your mud problem for sure.....It drys fast and does not get stinky.....Chickens love to dust in it....

Cheers!

10. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Great! I got a place right by my house that sells gravel and rocks and sand etc I could get it from but I'm not sure how expensive it will be

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by