Roost to wire barrier distance?

Der Alte

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 1, 2008
I'm building my first coop and am using 2x2s for roosts. There are four roosts, each 48" long with a distance of 10 1/2" between them. There is a distance of 9.5 inches from the bottom surface of the 2x2s down to the droppings board. I want to use some hex mesh chicken wire as a barrier to keep the hens away from the droppings board.

Is it ok to secure the wire to the bottom surface of the 2x2 roost or should there be a greater distance for some reason?

TIA,

Der Alte

Since I'm an Engineer making a chicken coop, does that make me a Chickeneer?

I agree with rebelcowboysnb... I don't think there's a problem with attaching the wire directly beneath your roosts, as long as the holes in your wire are big enough to allow the poop to fall through, so they won't walk in or peck at their poop. I was surprised that mine will sometimes walk around on the wire beneath their roosts, even though it's 2 x 4 inch fencing. (You can see a picture of mine here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=123931&p=1)

I would, however, suggest you space your roosts further apart than 10 1/2 inches (assuming you're talking about standard size chicks). Otherwise they may be more inclined to pick/peck at each other while on the roosts.

Thank you both for the advice.
Sillybirds, your coop is a beauty.

Der Alte

Oops, That 10 1/2" is the air space between them. The roosts are 12" center to center.

Back
Top Bottom