Roost Training at Night

Dreammaker

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
MA
Hi! Our pullets are finally home! It's 7:45 PM EST. Impressively, they all went back to the coop without much coaxing. The problem is, only 3 are sleeping on their roosts. One is on the floor, two are sharing a nesting box.

What time should/can I go out to try and move them to the roost? I'm afraid to cause a big ruckus and wake the others, but I want to break them of a bad habit.

For clarity, the nesting boses are no higher than the lowest roosting bar. They have about 9 linear ft of roost and there's 6 birds, so plenty of room.

Thanks!

Hi! Our pullets are finally home! It's 7:45 PM EST. Impressively, they all went back to the coop without much coaxing. The problem is, only 3 are sleeping on their roosts. One is on the floor, two are sharing a nesting box.

What time should/can I go out to try and move them to the roost? I'm afraid to cause a big ruckus and wake the others, but I want to break them of a bad habit.

For clarity, the nesting boses are no higher than the lowest roosting bar. They have about 9 linear ft of roost and there's 6 birds, so plenty of room.

Thanks!
If you just brought them home, they will need time to acclimate to their new home. How old are they in weeks?
I remove errant birds from the nest boxes at lock up/head count after it is completely dark. There is always enough ambient light for me to see by and I just put birds on the roost wherever they'll fit. They don't bother each other if it's nice and dark out and you won't bother the roosted birds. They don't sleep all night. They just nap off and on, rest and preen during the night.

If you just brought them home, they will need time to acclimate to their new home. How old are they in weeks?
I remove errant birds from the nest boxes at lock up/head count after it is completely dark. There is always enough ambient light for me to see by and I just put birds on the roost wherever they'll fit. They don't bother each other if it's nice and dark out and you won't bother the roosted birds. They don't sleep all night. They just nap off and on, rest and preen during the night.
Thanks! They are between 14-18 weeks old. Not sure of each of their ages. I never knew that about them napping off and on! I think perhaps at some point we'll try putting them on the roost at "bedtime" and see if that works. As you say though, they are still getting used to their home and I certainly don't want to stress them any more.

Back
Top Bottom